Monday, May 30, 2011

Maurice Reginald Lee-Thomas Sails to America

Maurice left for America on 26 April 1930.  He set sail by himself.  His other family membes had come a while before him.  He left many behind in Australia who he would never see again.  It's hard to imagine, but the call to America must have been over-riding of the desire to stay in Australia with the loved ones there.  "Courage" is the word I would use to describe this.  He was only 17 years old.  Here is the link to his Identification Check with the Matson Navigation Company to sail on the ship, "Sierra."

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10071252/Lee-Thomas%2C%20Maurice%20-%20Matson%20Navigation%20Company.pdf

1 comment:

Kim Stringfellow said...

He had to have been so brave to get on that ship all alone! I think of my two boys, 16 and 18, and it's hard to believe that he did it. Glad he did, because I'm so glad to live in America! I love your blog mom, thanks for taking the time to do this!